Some Key Points:
* Find someone local who you can meet with in person.
* Locate an advisor with whom you share mutual principles.
* Avoid large firms where you have to work with an employee who is not the owner as they may be under pressure to sell you something to meet a sales quota.
* Get a Fee-Only advisor so as to minimize conflicts of interest that may arise from quota driven sales of commissioned products.
* Find someone who has acquired experience, credentials, education. The government allows relatively inexperienced people to be licensed, so shop carefully.
* Consider working with someone who publishes significant volume of writings as this can help you to understand the advisor.